Sunday, November 8, 2009

A battlefield for Daddy's birthday

What Daddy really wanted to do for his birthday was to go and visit Antietam National Battlefield, which is only about 20 minutes from our house. It was the site of the single bloodiest day during the civil war, with more than 23,000 killed or wounded. The battlefield is really big, and includes a church, multiple farms and fields, Antietam Creek, and a couple of roads.

Me and Daddy outside the church. It was a little windy, so I was all bundled up!


After we drove through the battlefield (during which I took a nice nap) we stopped at the Antietam National Cemetery. It was my first time in a cemetery, and I enjoyed the open space so I could walk. I had been in the car way too long!


Mommy just couldn't get over how cute I was in my little jeans, with my hat and mittens on! (I must admit, I am pretty cute in these pictures. But I'm pretty cute every day!)


Mommy took a picture of these two tombstones because they were for the two men from Iowa who died in the battle.


Here I am, looking so cute again.


I was trying so hard to push the stroller, just like Daddy was doing. I just couldn't quite reach.


So I figured out how do push it from my vantage point!

After a long day at the battlefield, we drove into downtown Hagerstown to eat an early dinner at Daddy's favorite restaurant, Bulls and Bears. Then we headed home, to rest and play. Just before I went to bed, we got to sing to Daddy with his cake! (Special cake made by Nana, Mississippi Mud Cake, Daddy's favorite!) I helped Daddy blow out his candle...he only had one, because that was all Mommy could find, and because I don't think we could have fit 30 on the cake!!!!!


What a fun day to celebrate Daddy's birthday!

No comments: