Friday, April 23, 2010

The pretty girl and the pea!


I scared Mommy today. Really scared her! I kinda scared myself a little too. Here is the story...

I was happily eating lunch, while Mommy was doing dishes. Mommy finished the dishes and came to sit with me. I was eating one of my favorite foods, peas. Only Mommy noticed that I wasn't eating them any more, I was sticking my finger in my nose. Mommy thought that was a little strange and asked me to stop. She pulled my hand down, and I put it right back up.

Then, a light bulb went off in Mommy's brain! She pulled my hand away, tilted my head back, and looked into my nose. One nostril was clear, the other was green. Not boogie green, pea green. I had stuck a pea up my nose!!!


Mommy ran upstairs and got a big book (something about children's' health) and looked to see what they recommended for such an incident. "Hold a tissue up to your child's nose and have her blow her nose." So Mommy did exactly that. The only problem is, I haven't quite mastered blowing my nose, so when Mommy told me to blow, I blew out my mouth...not much help.


"If the object doesn't come out, contact your physician. Do not try to remove it with tweezers or a cotton swab. This could damage the inside of the nose." This was Mommy's fear, needing to go to the doctor, because Daddy had the car today (we still only have one) and he was at a lunch meeting.


Mommy decided she needed more advise before taking me to the ER, so she wheeled me (in my highchair still) over to the computer. She went to Google and typed in "pea in child's nose" and a whole bunch of web sites came up. Can you believe that? Other kids have done this too!!


Mommy read a few sites, most said to try and have the child blow it out (haha). Then one said to have the child sneeze, and to make then sneeze, have them sniff pepper. So Mommy went and got the big jar of pepper out of the cabinet and put it under my nose. My response..."Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm!" Yes, it was lunch time, I was still hungry, and I love pepper! Every time Mommy uses it, I have to have some too! So much for me sneezing.


By now, Mommy was starting to panic a little, so she called Daddy and told him he had to come home and take us to the doctor. Then she tried to get me to blow out my nose again...no good. Mommy started reading the next website, trying to find another idea. She looked over at me, and could see the pea at the end of my nostril!


Now you have to understand, once I got that pea up my nose, I realized that it wasn't a good idea, because it didn't feel very good. That was why I was trying to get it out when Mommy saw me sticking my finger up my nose. Then, when Mommy was trying to help me get the pea out, I really realized that it shouldn't be there, so I was trying to help. So while Mommy was calling Daddy, and looking at the computer, I was trying to blow that pea out of my nose! And I got it to the end of my nostril, thank you.


So, Mommy saw the pea, and with her nice Mommy fingernails, she grabbed it and pulled it out. It was a little slippery, so it fell into the pocket of my bib. Mommy took a deep breath, and so did I! I could breath again through my nose!! Then Mommy called Daddy back and told him that everything was OK. Mommy looked over at me as I picked that silly pea out of my bib pocket and ate it! (Hey, I was still hungry!!)


Now Mommy says I can't have peas for a while. I hope she doesn't mean it. I really like peas, and I've learned my lesson. Mommy has made sure of that. PEAS GO IN THE MOUTH, NOT THE NOSE!

No comments: